The Sonic Dimension
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Forum for all Sonic and Gaming fans alike

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Rate the last game you played

Go down 
+8
Evolia the Wolf
K2SonicFan
LFshogun564
Jamy666
Jymaru
Wally325
Tails321
StarlightSonic
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
StarlightSonic
Founder
Founder
StarlightSonic

Female Join date : 2009-12-03

Rate the last game you played - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rate the last game you played   Rate the last game you played - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2014 4:07 am

Batman: The Arkham Series - PS3 - 10/10

Now that I've had the good pleasure of playing this fantastic series, I'm just gonna lump them all together here. Simply put; they're all wonderful titles with compelling stories. Not once during the main story of each did I get distracted with the side missions. I was far too invested in what was going on. Which of course leaves plenty of life in the games with the extra stuff to do after the story is done.

Asylum is a great introduction to the series, it feels very tight and really gives the sensation you're trapped on Arkham. The villains are entertaining, none moreso than the Joker. Mark Hamill is the best Joker, no question. What also stood out to me was the Scarecrow segments-- an interesting look into Bruce's psyche as well as a unique boss.

City is by far the best. The environment feels very alive and nothing beats gliding around the city and dropping down on some thugs. The Joker is equally entertaining here, but the rest of the villains are sorta put to the side. Playing as Robin in addition to the Bat is great. The end of the game is very emotional and chilling, particularly if you wait until a certain little song plays in the credits.

I was sceptical about Origins after hearing it was terrible compared to the others, but I found it to be very good, even despite the fact that Rocksteady didn't make it and it's obviously leeching off the success of the other two. The new voices are slightly off-putting at first after being so used to the first ones, but they do a good job. I was honestly surprised at how good the Joker sounded and it's mildly amusing to know Sonic and Batman share a voice actor. The only thing that bothered me was the plot hole regarding where Joker and Harley met. In Asylum it says that met in Arkham, but in Origins it's Blackgate.

The combat and gameplay in every game is responsive and fun to use. The combat becoming particularly enjoyable once you've mastered it. The side quests keep you busy, particularly the Riddler's immense one in City. And that's not even going into the DLC.

All in all, I loved these games. Can't wait for Arkham Knight. I gotta get a PS4 somehow.

Last edited by StarlightSonic on Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/SonicFanGirl2007
Thorn
Thorn

Male Join date : 2009-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last game you played   Rate the last game you played - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 12:07 pm

StarlightSonic wrote:
Batman: The Arkham Series - PS3 - 10/10

Now that I've had the good pleasure of playing this fantastic series, I'm just gonna lump them all together here. Simply put; they're all wonderful titles with compelling stories. Not once during the main story of each did I get distracted with the side missions. I was far too invested in what was going on. Which of course leaves plenty of life in the games with the extra stuff to do after the story is done.

Asylum is a great introduction to the series, it feels very tight and really gives the sensation you're trapped on Arkham. The villains are entertaining, none moreso than the Joker. Mark Hamill is the best Joker, no question. What also stood out to me was the Scarecrow segments-- an interesting look into Bruce's psyche as well as a unique boss.

City is by far the best. The environment feels very alive and nothing beats gliding around the city and dropping down on some thugs. The Joker is equally entertaining here, but the rest of the villains are sorta put to the side. Playing as Catwoman and Robin in addition to the Bat is great fun. The end of the game is very emotional and chilling, particularly if you wait until a certain little song plays in the credits.

I was sceptical about Origins after hearing it was terrible compared to the others, but I found it to be very good, even despite the fact that Rocksteady didn't make it and it's obviously leeching off the success of the other two. The new voices are slightly off-putting at first after being so used to the first ones, but they do a good job. I was honestly surprised at good the Joker sounded and it's mildly amusing to know Sonic and Batman share a voice actor. The only thing that bothered me was the plot hole regarding where Joker and Harley met. In Asylum it says that met in Arkham, but in Origins it's Blackgate.

The combat and gameplay in every game is responsive and fun to use. The combat becoming particularly enjoyable once you've mastered it. The side quests keep you busy, particularly the Riddler's immense one in City. And that's not even going into the DLC.

All in all, I loved these games. Can't wait for Arkham Knight. I gotta get a PS4 somehow.
Great series, isn't it? Like I said, Origins isn't bad by any means, but it just didn't leave a lasting impression on me like the first two games did. And yeah, I need to get a PS4 for Arkham Knight as well.
Back to top Go down
StarlightSonic
Founder
Founder
StarlightSonic

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last game you played   Rate the last game you played - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 11:56 pm

Thorn wrote:
Great series, isn't it? Like I said, Origins isn't bad by any means, but it just didn't leave a lasting impression on me like the first two games did. And yeah, I need to get a PS4 for Arkham Knight as well.

Yep. One thing I'd like to give Origins credits for is Alfred, because if there's anyone who's unappreciated, it's Alfred. Arkham Knight looks incredible. I fell like it'll be a lot more edgy without The Joker around, though.
Back to top Go down
Thorn
Thorn

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last game you played   Rate the last game you played - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 11:34 pm

Hyrule Warriors - Wii U - 7.5/10

When I first heard that The Legend of Zelda was getting a hack-and-slash game, I honestly didn't know what to think at first. Combat was never the biggest focus of any Zelda game no matter what Egoraptor says but there's two facts that alleviated my fears:

1. It's a non-canon spin-off.
2. It's a game developed by Koei-Tecmo who based this off the Dynasty Warriors games.

The whole game is a love letter to fans of the series, and it really shows. During the story, our heroes are actually forced to open up portals to bring in more heroes from other dimensions: Darunia and Ruto from Ocarina of Time, Midna and Agitha (of all people) from Twilight Princess and Fi from Skyward Sword (sadly, no Wind Waker representation). The story even pokes fun at Zelda tropes, like how Link is a mute ("Not much of a talker, eh?"), item collection ("Link, don't you usually have a bow? Did you forget to take it with you?") and even takes a jab at the timeline's ridiculousness.

Gameplay-wise, if you've played a DW game before, you'll immediately get comfortable. It's a bit of a multi-task game, as you have to keep an eye out for any allies that may be in trouble, captured bases that may be about to be taken over or bosses that have appeared. That said, however, the game isn't really that difficult. Even in the harder difficulties, it isn't too troubling. Boss combat are more interactive than anything else. Use item on boss, whittle health down and use super move. True, that can be said about just about every Zelda game, but with a bigger focus on combat rather than puzzle solving, it seems more apparent here. However, I was having fun. Dynasty Warriors games aren't that hard either. It's merely a series where just mindlessly hacking away at enemies is the name of the game, so if that's your kind of thing, Hyrule Warriors will let you right in. The multiple playable characters also help in this aspect. With the exception of Darunia (his fighting style is a bit slow for my liking), every character brings unique moves to the table, and even the villains get their time in the spotlight (it almost makes up for Lord Ghirahim not being playable in Smash Bros... almost).

Adventure Mode is also an interesting distraction. You explore a map that perfectly replicates the original Legend of Zelda game for the NES. Each section of the map is a challenge with pre-set rules such as "Defeat 1,000 enemies" or "Defeat King Dodongo" among many others. This mode is required to unlock four characters and is a genuinely good time. You can also find secrets around the map, advantageous if you know the original game back and forth... I don't since I actually don't think the original game has aged very well, but if you're also in my position, you can get hint cards to reveal these secrets for you.

For the presentation side of things, Hyrule Warriors does look nice, but there's nothing mind-blowingly gorgeous. With a lot going on at once, draw-distance is almost non-existent as enemies and trees often just fade into the scene as you move forward. It's even worse in co-op. Much like Sonic Lost World's co-op mode, the game's visuals take a minor dive and sometimes even look like they belong on the Wii. The character designs are awesome, though. Link's blue scarf looks great; so great that the European Limited Edition actually comes with a real scarf you can wear. My favourite part of the presentation, though, is easily the music. While they're mostly borrowed themes from other games, it's probably the only acceptable time you'll hear rock remixes of Zelda tunes in an actual game. I seriously recommend you find the soundtrack if you can, particularly Twilight Field and Skyloft.

Hyrule Warriors is a great little tribute to The Legend of Zelda series. It's got problems and not everyone will enjoy it, but if you're a fellow Zelda fan, the love shines brightly. It might even quench your thirst for a new game before next year's official new entry in the series.
Back to top Go down
Thorn
Thorn

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last game you played   Rate the last game you played - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 11:40 am

Okay, I've given it enough time to simmer so let's chow down. This is gonna be a long one:

Super Smash Bros. - 3DS - 8/10

... it's Smash Bros. You already know it's going to be fun, but this is definitely a very ambitious title. You can tell this pushes the handheld to its limits. The character models look great and even though it can sometimes be difficult to tell where you are in a huge brawl on a small screen, it's truly a wonder that such a game could work so well on a handheld to begin with. Aside from the Pokemon and Assist Trophies, everything moves at a comfortable 60fps, and nowhere showed a traced of slowdown.

This is coupled with great stage design. The stages exclusive to the 3DS version look phenomenal, even plain looking stages like Golden Plains and Balloon Fight have their own charms about them. However, a small number of the stages are pulled from both Brawl and Melee and while I'm happy to see the return of WarioWare and Brinstar, it was very distracting. That said, some of the returning stages have seen an update in presentation. The rain that falls from the sky in Distant Planet looks great in 3D and WarioWare and Flat Zone 2 feel very comfortable on a handheld. The new stages are, for the most, excellently done. There are some stages that we know are in the Wii U version as well and it's easy to see why. Boxing Ring makes for great combat (even though most of it in my experience is spent outside of the ring itself), Wily Castle keeps you on your toes, Gaur Plain from Xenoblade Chronicles looks beautiful despite Metal Face's absence (maybe he appears in the Wii U version) and Battlefield and Final Destination are pretty much what you would expect. The 3DS exclusive stages are also great; some of them even take advantage of the fact that each player has their own system. Pac-Maze, for example, has a power pellet appear when the player is "eaten" 100 dots scattered around the level and it will only work for that player. Golden Plains from New Super Mario Bros. 2 is loaded with coins which will turn the player gold is 100 are collected and there's even a little counter in the corner to help the player keep track of it all. And of course if you don't like stage gimmicks, every stage has a Final Destination version that you can freely turn on, should you so wish

Modes that are exclusive to the 3DS are... kinda disappointing, honestly. Smash Run isn't much to write home about. You and three opponents run around a giant environment for five minutes defeating random enemies from various games and collecting power-ups to improve stats like speed, defence, jump height and many others before going into battle together. Here's the kicker, though: the challenge afterwards is completely random. It might be a straight-up match or it could be a race to the finish or seeing who can go the highest in a tower before time runs out. What makes this disappointing is that the game doesn't tell you what the challenge will be. You could be placed into a race after you collected barely any speed stats. Street Smash isn't that fun of a mode either. You're just little bumpers hitting other bumpers of a top-down-view stage and that's it. You don't even get much for it.

But let's get into the real meat of any fighting game, the fighters and multiplayer. I will say, this roster is just amazing. This is a case of Nintendo going all out with their resources. The new characters are a perfect fit for Smash and even returning veterans have gotten their own improvements here and there. I'm sure everyone's heard of the unlockable characters by now, so spoilers are abound for this: some unlockables are straight up clones. Dr. Mario returns from Melee and Dark Pit and Lucina are clones of Pit and Marth. True, they all have their own little differences and to be honest, I don't think it's as bad as a lot of fans have said, but it is distracting. The custom moves aren't really something I use myself, but they're there if you feel like a character isn't to your liking, though unlocking them can be a real pain.

The controls are very different from the Gamecube Master Race, but trust me when I say that you will get used to it. I've gotten the muscle memory down to a tee at this point. Local Multiplayer is almost note-for-note perfect. True, some wireless interferences can corrupt your play time, put get your friends in the right environment and it's a great time. Online multiplayer is a huge improvement over Brawl, though still has kinks to iron out. I had almost no problems playing with friends, even ones from other countries, but playing against others was 50-50 for me. As with all online games, your mileage may vary, but here's hoping the Wii U version will have everything worked out by release.

At the end of it all, Super Smash Bros. for 3DS is an impressive feat. This may be the most jam-packed handheld game I've ever played and it definitely will keep you soothed until the Wii U version, assuming you have the console to begin with. It has its issues and the modes exclusive to it are kinda lame, but if you're a Smash Bros. fan, there's enough here to keep you happy. Plus, it's Super Smash Bros. on the go. What's not to like about that, right?
Back to top Go down
StarlightSonic
Founder
Founder
StarlightSonic

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last game you played   Rate the last game you played - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2014 9:09 pm

Futurama the Game - PS2 - 7.5/10

After rewatching the entirety of the series, I decided to revisit this game. It's pretty much like a long episode of the show, and an underrated title. The humour and voice acting are on point, considering it has all the same writers and voices from the show. The tons of Easter eggs and one liners from the characters as you play through never gets old.

Considering this game is over 10 years old now (ouch), the cel-shaded graphics hold up pretty well for the time. However, being a robot, Bender easily translates best to 3D. The only issues with the game lie in the controls; the platforming isn't very precise, which can lead to a lot of cheap deaths.

If you're a avid fan of the show as I am, you'll love it. If not, maybe not so much. Perhaps one day there'll be a new Futurama Game, but it doesn't seem all that likely. Particularly since the show got cancelled again. Dang it.
Back to top Go down
Thorn
Thorn

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last game you played   Rate the last game you played - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 7:03 pm

Bayonetta 2 - Wii U - 9.5/10

A very strong contender for my personal game of the year. While the original was a great game in of itself, the sequel does everything even better. Pulling off combos still feels satisfying, the addition of Umbra Climax is a great way to turn fights in your favour, the music is still amazing, the story is much easier to follow than the first, the Nintendo themed costumes are both humorous and practical... this is how you do a sequel.

Plus the Limited Edition comes with a Wii U port of the original game. Find that at a decent price and you're good to go.
Back to top Go down
StarlightSonic
Founder
Founder
StarlightSonic

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last game you played   Rate the last game you played - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 13, 2014 4:59 am

The Wolf Among Us - PS3 - 10/10

I only watched a playthrough of this when the episodes first came out, and it was very interesting. I finally got around to getting it for myself, and it's extremely good. The story is very compelling and even though I knew what would happen after watching it before, it couldn't stop playing until I beat it. Watching this kinda thing isn't enough, you need to be in complete control of the story for yourself and that's how it feels; all the decisions you make feel like they matter.

Bigby is a very likeable character, and it's generally a really interesting concept to see how all these fairytale characters are portrayed here. Not only that, but the art style is quite appealing and the music is great. I really hope Telltale makes another season like with The Walking Dead. There's plenty of material to work with from the comics.

---------

Pokémon Omega Ruby - 3DS - 9.5/10

This remake definitely does everything right. There's so many nostalgic nods for long-time fans and the story is surprisingly strong for a Pokémon game. This comes greatly into play when the games starts heating up after the 7th gym and with the Delta episode. The full 3D cutscenes are really something, as is the music, both new and remixed.

Like XY, it's still easy. My team was overleveled less than half-way through. I turned the EXP Share off unless I had a team member to train. The HMs are too many and still annoying. All in all though, a fantastic experience.

---------

Super Smash Bros. - Wii U - 10/10

What can I say, it's Smash Bros. and it more than lives up to the hype. It feels a lot nicer than Brawl and the Character Roster is perfect. There's a bit too many returning stages, but I expect there will be more via DLC. I particularly like the new Sonic and Pokémon ones.

There's plenty of modes to keep you busy, the Master and Crazy Orders are particularly fun. Online is a lot nicer, although there is occasional lag. The OST is immense.

Smash is a game that can keep you entertained for months, and this one certainly isn't disappointing.

Last edited by StarlightSonic on Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Thorn
Thorn

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last game you played   Rate the last game you played - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 13, 2014 12:53 pm

Yeah, I might as well get the games I've been playing out of the way.

Shovel Knight - Wii U - 10/10

Pure platforming perfection. While it's a homage to many classic NES games like Mega Man, Ducktales and Zelda II, it also does enough to stand on its own merits. For an 8-Bit game, the story is surprisingly engaging. While its core story is "Hero saves love interest" (it's never really established whether or not they were always together), Shovel Knight's drive for saving Shield Knight draws into the player as well. At the end of some of the levels, you're pulled into a dream sequence where Shield Knight is falling from the sky and your objective is to simply catch her. Not only that, the determination for saving her pays off in the final battle. Why? I'm not spoiling it.

Story aside, the game itself is really fun too. If you've played NES platformers, you know what you're getting into. The game heavily rewards the explorative types who go out of their way to find secrets. It keeps you on your toes, the bosses are imaginative, the dialogue is witty and the game is certainly challenging, but by no means does it punish you. Shovel Knight might just be my favourite game of the year and its European release was worth the delay.

--------------------------------

Super Smash Bros. - Wii U - 9/10

Pretty much what SFG said, combined with my some of my thoughts of the 3DS game. While Smash Tour is kinda meh, just about everything else makes it the definitive Smash Bros. experience to me, as much as I love Brawl and Melee.

--------------------------------

Ace Attorney Trilogy - 3DS - 10/10

An inexpensive method to playing the original trilogy, even if I already did many years ago. If you have yet the experience the fantastic story of this series, I highly encourage you to play this version, assuming you have enough system memory to download it. Who knows, if it gets enough love, they may release Ace Attorney: Investigations 1 and 2 (the second one never got a release outside of Japan sadly). The redrawn sprites look beautiful in this version too.
Back to top Go down
Thorn
Thorn

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last game you played   Rate the last game you played - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2015 4:28 pm

Pokemon Alpha Sapphire - 3DS - 8/10

When Generation 3 of Pokemon originally released, it was at an unfortunate time. Not only did I lack a GBA, I was also at an age where I considered myself too old for Pokemon. I did play a little of a friend's copy of Emerald, but not enough to get a real impression of it. It wasn't until HeartGold and SoulSilver came out that I got back into the series (I have yet to play Gen. 4, for the record). But while I'm unable to make a full comparison of how faithful it is to the original, I can still say that OR/AS does enough to stand on its own merits. Like X and Y, it's still fairly easy, though I wouldn't say it's as easy. I also found Team Aqua so enjoyable that they might be my favourite evil team in the series, even if it is the start of the "Team who are evil, but believe they aren't" trope that Pokemon has unfortunately adopted over time.

I mentioned back in my rating for Gen 6 that I didn't find Mega Evolution very enthralling. I don't know what's happened between then and now, but I found myself using a lot more, especially on Blaziken and Absol (would have used Mega Gardevoir as well if I knew where the stone was... ah well). The post-game Delta episode was great too, and Zinnia is a good reason for that. She might just be one of the more fleshed out characters in the series and that's something I certainly appreciate.

Like I said, I don't know how faithful these remakes are, but I can definitely say you don't need to have played the original Gen 3 in order to enjoy them.

And because I know someone reading this might be expecting it, here you go:
Spoiler:
(I don't agree with this, I just love this meme so much)
Back to top Go down
StarlightSonic
Founder
Founder
StarlightSonic

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last game you played   Rate the last game you played - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2015 1:04 am

Super Mario 3D World - Wii U - 9/10

A Mainstream 3D Mario title where you can play as Luigi all the way through from the get go? Sign me up.
It took a while for me to get around to this game because of it's price, but I was not disappointed by it. It looks absolutely beautiful, with full HD and smooth 60 fps. The music is on point and every level feels fresh, unique and enjoyable. The new cat power-up is a fast favourite. Shame there's no sign of Yoshi, but Plessie is nice new character. The little Year of Luigi easter eggs are great.

Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD ReMIX - PS3 - 10/10

This is the first time the Final Mix versions of KH2 and BBS have been available outside Japan, and boy does KH2 in particular feel so much more massive thanks to it. Basically, this is Kingdom Hearts at it's very best. For anyone looking to get into KH, the HD reMIX collections are the best excuse to do it. Particularly with KH3 on the horizon.
Back to top Go down
Thorn
Thorn

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last game you played   Rate the last game you played - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2015 11:23 pm

Ultimate NES Remix - 3DS - 7/10

I never downloaded the two NES Remix games on their initial release and this collection makes me glad I didn't.

Ultimate NES Remix is like an NES collection struck with WarioWare syndrome. The whole game is a collection of challenges based on classic NES games. These challenges can range from something simple like collecting 10 coins in Super Mario Bros. to something challenging like winning a race against a difficult opponent in ExciteBike. It should be said that these games aren't the entire NES Remix collection, but rather a "Best of" anthology. But while it is a stellar library of classic games on offer, these are only games from Nintendo themselves so if you were expecting the likes of Mega Man, Castlevania, Contra and other games responsible for making the NES as legendary as it is, you might be a tad disappointed.

However, it's the Remix challenges that shine brightest. These challenges can turn these games into different beasts entirely. Sometimes, Mario is a perpetual motion machine and all you can make him do is jump. Sometimes you're playing Donkey Kong as Link, who can't jump at all. There's no mind-blowing crossover challenges, but they're humorous enough to throw you off a little and make you rethink what you normally do.

The advantage to this being on the 3DS is that it's the kind of game that belongs on a handheld. The downside is that the 3DS D-Pad isn't the best when it comes to comfortable control. There is a Wii U version, but only in the US for some reason. That said, it certainly provides the "one more try" mentality that makes WarioWare fun. And that's why I overall recommend Ultimate NES Remix, especially if you find it at a decent price. I'd love to see Nintendo take another crack at this. SNES Remix would be great.
Back to top Go down
Thorn
Thorn

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last game you played   Rate the last game you played - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2015 12:54 am

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D - 3DS - 9/10

As I've stated numerous times, I love Majora's Mask to pieces. Transporting Termina to the 3DS has been heavily requested and just like Ocarina 3D, Grezzo has done a fine job in doing so. Unlike Ocarina 3D, the changes to this version are a lot more apparent. There are subtle changes like the banker being moved to behind the clock tower, the man who gives you the Stone Mask being moved to the pirate fortress, the rewards for some of the minigames being fishing hole passes (more or that in a sec) and some of the stray fairies being moved around too.

There are then very clear changes. My favourite being the Song of Double Time. Before, playing the song would warp you to the night of that day or dawn of the next day. This time, you play the song to warp you to whatever time in the future you want, so time-specific quests involve a lot less time just standing around and waiting. Fishing is now a thing and it's pretty much the same as it was in Ocarina, so if that seems like your kind of thing, go for it, otherwise ignore it. The other big changes relate to the transformational masks. Rolling as a Goron is different, but nothing a veteran can't get used, water skipping as a Deku Scrub now requires more momentum when using the spin attack in conjunction, but swimming as a Zora is a change I'm not too fond of. While I like that swimming slowly gives you more control, you can now only swim faster while using the electric barrier at the same time, which uses up magic. Swimming around as a Zora was so fun in the original, so I honestly don't get the change. Also, I know the Great Bay Temple is a pain, but you don't have to out-right tell players where in the water to shoot ice arrows. Even worse that you can't freeze areas in the water other than those designated spots.

Well, while some of the changes are questionable, don't let my words make you think this isn't an impressive remake, because it definitely is. What shined the brightest in Ocarina 3D translates well here as well and considering that I like Majora's Mask more than Ocarina, you can bet that this gets my recommendation. If you were one of the players who were turned off by the original, the remake might let you back in.
Back to top Go down
StarlightSonic
Founder
Founder
StarlightSonic

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last game you played   Rate the last game you played - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2015 10:49 pm

Luigi's Mansion 2 - 3DS - 10/10

Improves upon the original in almost every way. Luigi himself radiates a ton of loveable personality and life. The game looks graphically wonderful and there's a lot to do and collect. It's easily one of the best games on the system.

Alice: Madness Returns - PS3 - 9/10

This is everything that Tim Burton film should have been.
It combines traditional platforming with psychological horror elements. It's an extremely interesting twist on the original Alice in Wonderland story. Alice herself isn't your normal videogame heroine, either.
The game looks very beautiful and stylized. The only issues I encountered were the odd graphical glitch. The game also comes with the original PC version remastered too, so what's not to like.
Back to top Go down
Thorn
Thorn

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last game you played   Rate the last game you played - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2015 10:55 pm

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D - New 3DS - 8.5/10

Like many, I skipped over the original Wii version. Despite how much hype it had gotten, I'm not a JRPG guy, so my natural instinct was to forget it existed in the first place. Perhaps it's for the best that I did though. I can imagine my younger self getting easily confused over the battle mechanics and eventually regretting my purchase. But younger me is a dolt. Now admittedly Shulk's inclusion in Smash 4 was a reason for me to get interested in this port, but I think even without prior knowledge, I might have gotten into it. Now I'm finding it hard to put the game down. That said, I don't even have to have played the Wii version to know that that is probably the superior version.

You can tell this version is a port. The graphics, while far from terrible, look very washed out and look like an early PSP game. The original had its share of graphical problems as well. Many said it looked like an early PS2 game and both versions have trouble keeping the lip-syncing in time with the voices. Speaking of which, the option to use the Japanese voice cast has been removed from the original in order to put in 3DS-specific additions, which I'll get into in a bit. If you prefer the Japanese voices, you might be a bit disappointed, but to be honest, the English voices are very good in their own right. Every character expresses their own personalities well and you certainly hear their comradery through both the story and battle phrases. The battle phrases are repetitive. Some may find them annoying, I find them harmless, even through Reyn's North London accent (hey, he's got memes for a reason).

For additions to the 3DS, there's a model viewer and a jukebox. You can unlock content for both with tokens you can get via StreetPass, Play Coins or touching the Shulk amiibo to the bottom screen once a day. The model viewer isn't anything to write home about, but I love unlocking songs for the jukebox. It helps that the music is fantastic but also, much like Smash 3DS, you can plug headphones in and listen to it while the system's closed. The whole game sounds better through headphones anyway and if you travel as much as I do, it's a great time-killer.

While it isn't enough to turn me to JRPG's, I think it's nice for a gamer to step outside their comfort zone sometimes and Xenoblade Chronicles is that kind of game for me. If the upcoming Wii U sequel is anything like this, I'll be happy for sure.
Back to top Go down
Thorn
Thorn

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last game you played   Rate the last game you played - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2015 6:43 pm

Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush - Wii U - 6.5/10

Known as Rainbow Curse in North America, Rainbow Paintbrush acts as the spiritual successor to Power Paintbrush on the DS (again, that's Canvas Curse for any North Americans reading this). As one of the few Kirby fans who didn't really like Power Paintbrush that much, this game felt like I was buying it for consumer loyalty more than excitement. That said, however, this more or less eliminates the problems I originally had and turns it into an enjoyable game, though not without its faults.

One thing I can immediately praise is the claymation art style Rainbow Paintbrush has. While in the end, it's a bunch of pixels squished into each other, everything from the foliage popping out to even the little thumb-prints on Kirby can make players wonder if they were actually made of clay. Does it rival Epic Yarn's art style? Sort of, though Epic Yarn did weave the art style with the gameplay, something that Rainbow Paintbrush really only does once in a while. But while the art style is gorgeous, there's one rather big flaw with it.

Rainbow Paintbrush's gameplay consists entirely of drawing lines with the stylus to move the rolling Kirby around. There are also a few levels where Kirby transforms into a vehicle and shoots projectiles which you can then draw lines for to properly aim at enemies, which are super fun. However, this means that about 90% of your focus is on the lower-res gamepad while it looks much nicer on a television. Really, the only times I looked up at the television were during cutscenes and viewing the model collection. Don't get me wrong, it still looks fine enough on the gamepad, not to mention it's the first Wii U game in a while that actually utilises the gamepad well, but the problem is definitely a little distracting. That said, the reason I keep the television on while playing in the first place is to get fully lost in the music. Kirby games have some of my favourite music in games, but Rainbow Paintbrush's soundtrack is glorious. The remixes of songs from the past are some of the best I've ever heard and the original songs can be engrossing and serene, depending on the situation and landscape respectively.

Rainbow Paintbrush is definitely not a long game. That's standard for Kirby fare, but this is honestly one of the shortest in the series. There are plenty of things to collect and this game certainly rewards the explorative type. There are five treasure chests in each level which can unlock either a Smash Bros-esque trophy or a remix of a Kirby tune. Finding these on your first playthrough is actually a little tricky sometimes and going on to find all of them definitely lengthens your playtime, should you choose to do it at all. There are only three levels in each world, followed by a boss fight and the bosses are a little lacking. The challenge room is great, though. It's addicting to experiment with Kirby's limited abilities to find the solution in each challenge and can actually help in the main Story Mode.

It definitely has some glaring issues, but Rainbow Paintbrush is still a solid entry in the series. The art style's unique and vibrant, the music's brilliant and the gameplay - while not perfectly executed - does its job fine enough. It's nowhere near as good as the fantastic Triple Deluxe last year (then again, I don't think anyone expected it to be), but Kirby fans will most likely find something they enjoy out of this.
Back to top Go down
Thorn
Thorn

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last game you played   Rate the last game you played - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2015 1:52 am

Freedom Planet - Steam - 7.5/10

The only game I got as part of this year's Summer Steam Sale, Freedom Planet is a fun little platformer that's rather fast-paced. The name of the game is simple: precise platforming, defeat robots, run through shuttle loops...

If at least that last part sounds even the slightest bit familiar to a certain other platforming mascot, well there's a reason for that. Freedom Planet originally started off as a Sonic The Hedgehog fan game until Galaxy Trail decided it should have its own identity. However, it's more than just a simple clone of Sonic. First off, despite how fast-paced it is, not only does it not quite reach the speed of the blue blur, there's also no real momentum required to start running up quarter-pipe landscapes to get to higher areas. Second, the three playable characters have actual combat moves, which I'll go over in a moment. Third, the bosses seem like something more out of Gunstar Heroes rather than Sonic. And fourth, the game has an actual plot with full cutscenes and voice acting.

The story is, deep down, nothing too special. Two of our heroes (the third is unlocked after completing the second stage) - Sash Lilac and Carol Tea -- an anthropomorphic dragon and wildcat respectively - rescue Torque whose flying machine had crashed near Lilac's treehouse. While all of that is going, three of the nations of the planet are involved in a conflict over power after one of the nations is manipulated by the alien overlord Arktivus Brevon. The two stories quickly intertwine with each other, but without all the sub-plots and minor characters, the plot can basically be summed up as "Evil alien takes over and our heroes go to stop him". That said, you can play through the story in either Adventure Mode or Classic Mode. The former contains all the story I mentioned above, while the latter is simply going from stage to stage. The main characters are all likeable in their own ways, though there are times when they act a bit too cutesy for my liking. There's nothing that makes me cringe or slap my forehead, though, so the best way I can describe this story is: simple but harmless.

Moving on to how they actually play, all characters run at a decent speed and have basic combat with their own moves thrown into the mix. Lilac has a damaging double jump, as well as her Dragon Rush which sends her flying in a straight line either diagonally or straight forward depending on directional input. Carol definitely has more variety despite her moves dealing less damage. She also comes with a Mega Man X walljump, she can use special platforms to jump from space to space immediately and if you find a petrol can, she hops on her motorcycle and offers more ways to attack. I won't lie, there's something oddly satisfying about attacking, platforming and riding through shuttle loops on a motorbike that easily makes Carol the best character for me. And then we have Milla (the third character I mentioned earlier) who is only playable in Classic Mode. She isn't terrible, but... well, her way of attacking is either through a magic shield that can fire a pathetically short-range blast and make magic cubes that she can either throw normally, or use to pick up collectibles or bombs to throw back at enemies. She also has half of the health gauge that Lilac and Carol have. She does come with Flutter Jump and the ability to dig up certain areas, though, so she has that going for her.

This post has gone on for a while now, but this is a Sonic forum and the game definitely draws inspiration from Sonic as well the Mega Drive classics in general, especially in its graphics and music. If you like the sound of a great homage to Sonic's arguably best games, then I certainly recommend Freedom Planet. It's getting a Wii U eShop release very soon at a discounted price, so buy it there if you lack the alternative option.
Back to top Go down
StarlightSonic
Founder
Founder
StarlightSonic

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last game you played   Rate the last game you played - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2015 3:18 am

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros. - 8.5/10

Much like Bowser was the focus of Inside Story, Luigi is the big star here. It was his year, after all. The greatest appeal of these games, aside from the perfect battle mechanics, is the writing. The charm comes from the endearing brotherly dynamic between Mario and Luigi.
Yes, I'm a little biased because I love Luigi, but this game adds even more depth to his character, and it's probably the first time I've teared up at a Mario game. You'll know what I mean if you've seen 'Dreams Deep'.

There's also the giant battles, which are quite the highlight. However, some parts of the game can drag or get frustrating, but this is remedied by a easy mode if you're stuck with a battle.

Last edited by StarlightSonic on Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
StarlightSonic
Founder
Founder
StarlightSonic

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last game you played   Rate the last game you played - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 8:35 pm

Batman Arkham Knight - PS4 -9.5/10

Arkham Knight takes everything from the previous games and perfects it. The gadgets return and are tweaked to do even more, plus the new Batsuit gives Batman a lot more options for encounters. The Batmobile itself is fun and you can do a heck of a lot with it, though I did feel like it overstayed it's welcome a little with all the tank battles later on.

The visuals are absolutely stunning, it really makes full use of the next gen technology, from the rain effects, the lighting and every area crammed full of painstaking detail. It feels more thrilling than ever to grapple and glide over Gotham City.

The plot itself is just as compelling and clever as the previous games if a little more so, because this game is wrapping up the trilogy. Spoilerish stuff hidden.
Spoiler:

Plot aside, the game is jam packed with stuff to do and the City is huge. The Arkham series is the ultimate Batman experience and Arkham Knight is the best reason to own a PS4 at the moment. Gonna be playing this one for weeks and looking forward to that Batgirl story.

Last edited by StarlightSonic on Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Thorn
Thorn

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last game you played   Rate the last game you played - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2015 12:00 am

^ Still haven't gotten a PS4 yet. It's gonna happen very soon, I just don't know when specifically.

Anyway:

The last couple of days of gaming for me have been the games Nintendo had on display at Hyper Japan this weekend which are pretty much the games they showed off at E3, sans Metroid Prime: Federation Force. Thought it might be nice to go over the ones I played. Since these games aren't final, I won't be giving them a score:

Zelda: Triforce Heroes - Communication is key. I, along with two random dudes they paired me up with, played two areas and we had a rather good time... when we weren't accidentally chucking each other into bottomless pits, lava or other hazards. The touch screen communication to tell team-mates what to do are rather nice, though actual communication definitely works better. The guy at the booth even said, "Imagine doing this online with no voice chat," and I quite agree. But that's what I have Skype for. As a guy who really enjoyed Four Swords Adventures, I'm looking forward to this.

Mario Tennis Ultra Smash - It's Mario Tennis... with a Mega Mushroom... 'kay.

Star Fox Zero - Being honest, I didn't like this one very much. Think of this as an on-rails version of Splatoon. For those who haven't played Splatoon, you tilt the Gamepad for aiming. This works in a third-person shooter, but in a game where you're constantly moving forward, it's a pain. It probably doesn't help that I'm not much of a Star Fox guy to begin with, but I don't think this one will be turning me into a fan.

Super Mario Maker - This one I could barely keep myself away from. While I played around with the actual creation tool only once, the options at my disposal were great. I was mostly playing the levels already made by the developers, including the levels shown off at the Nintendo World Championship. I just wanted to keep playing these insane creations and I'm really looking forward to the final game in two months.
Back to top Go down
Thorn
Thorn

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last game you played   Rate the last game you played - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2015 1:22 pm

Tembo the Badass Elephant - PS4 - 7/10

(yes, I have a PS4 now... have actually had one for three weeks, but still haven't finished Arkham Knight yet)

A collaborative game between Sega and Game Freak, Tembo is a pleasant surprise platformer. Tembo comes with some nice moves at his disposal, including a charge (which you'll probably be using 70% of the time), a slide kick, ground pound, uppercut, bounce and he can also use his trunk to put out fires and solve basic puzzles. Being an elephant, he naturally moves very slowly so it's only natural you want to charge straight forward to keep things going, though this can often lead to hitting off-screen hazards. There are also the optional objectives of defeating every Phantom Soldier and finding ten civilians trapped around the stages. The civilians ride on Tembo's back during the stages and I have to admit, it's a bit of a guilty pleasure to see them sometimes throw their arms up like they're riding a roller coaster. The comic book art style is also very pleasant on the eyes.

It's good to see Game Freak branch out from Pokemon and while Tembo the Badass Elephant isn't a perfect game (you'll likely plough through it in a few hours), I wouldn't mind seeing him return in the future. He's a character with a lot of potential.
Back to top Go down
StarlightSonic
Founder
Founder
StarlightSonic

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last game you played   Rate the last game you played - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2015 1:27 am

( Oh, nice! What's your PSN name? I'll add ya. )

Splatoon - 9/10

Honestly, I was pretty indifferent to this game until it was near release and I watched all the gameplay footage, ect. At release I wouldn't have given it such a high score, but with the recent update and all the new content being frequently added, it makes for an addictively fun game.
I generally don't play shooters, at least not the dull, gritty realism ones, but Splatoon is a breath of fresh air. There's something very satisfying about laying ink down, particularly if it's a colour you really like. Nintendo have a huge winner here.
Back to top Go down
Thorn
Thorn

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last game you played   Rate the last game you played - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 7:47 pm

Super Mario Maker - Wii U - 8.5/10

I realise it was intentional to release this in time for Mario's 30th anniversary, but I always wondered why we only just now got a game that let's us make our own Mario levels. Fans have been wanting that sort of thing for a really long time. Whatever the reason is, Mario Maker is an intuitive level creation tool, though not without some flaws.

For starters, the tools you're given to work with at the start are incredibly limited. I understand the point of it is to smoothly get you comfortable with how creation works. The problem with it is how everything else is locked away in a timed fashion. Before release, you'd have to play around with the creation tool for about five minutes before getting notified the next set of tools would be made available the next day. You'd have to either sit down and wait or start time travelling with your Wii U's clock. After listening to the reviews however, Nintendo has since released a patch for the game that speeds up the unlocking process, though exactly what is required to unlock sets is still baffling a few people.

That being said, it's incredibly easy to lose track of time while creating levels, especially when you have an idea. There are four eras of 2D Mario to work with: Super Mario Bros., New Super Mario Bros. U and later on, you'll gain access to Mario 3 and my personal favourite, Super Mario World. There are then several level types: Grass, Water, Haunted House, Airship, Underground and Castle. There are of course enemies and obstacles that weren't in certain eras, i.e. Chain Chomps weren't in Mario 1. Almost everything has been worked and redesigned to fit the aesthetics of a particular era. You can't use Goomba's Shoe outside Mario 3 or use Yoshi outside Mario World or Mario U, but even with these limitations, there's a lot to inspire even the most uncreative of players.

That's really the essence of Super Mario Maker. You're required to complete your level once before you can upload it. However, this can also mean that someone can complete a level which is nothing but enemies all thrown at you at once and think, "Alright, this level's great." No! Don't do that. Thoroughly test everything, make sure there isn't a way that players can cheese past a certain obstacle, hold back on the amount of obstacles. It's perfectly fine to make a challenging stage, but test their skills, not their patience. Master this art and Super Mario Maker gets the creative juices flowing, even if you don't have everything at your disposal right away and that's what makes it a really fun experience.
Back to top Go down
Thorn
Thorn

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last game you played   Rate the last game you played - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2015 9:39 pm

Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows - Wii U - 8.5/10

Way back when Yacht Club Games had Shovel Knight in Kickstarter status, one of the stretch goals was to make individual side stories starring some of the Order of No Quarter in the form of free DLC. Plague of Shadows is the first of these with the focus being on Plague Knight. Unlike what you might expect, Plague of Shadows is not simply pasting a Plague Knight sprite over Shovel Knight and calling it a day.

Plague Knight is an entirely different beast. The creepy alchemist has his own toys to play with. Whereas Shovel Knight wields his trusty shovel, Plague Knight throws bombs. Doesn't sound like much? The bombs are also customisable. A bomb is set up into three parts. The casing which is how the bombs travels, the powder decides how the bomb explodes and the fuse determines when it explodes. The are dozens of combinations to play with and though I didn't use all of them very often, it really comes down to the player's choice of how he or she wants to progress.

The story is just as enjoyable as the original. Plague Knight along with his assistant/love interest Mona are a lovable duo. It's great to watch the chemistry unfold as the game goes on and while it lacks the chivalrous dialogue of the original, it's hilarious to see Plague Knight taunt the other knights. He even gets his own boss fight against Shovel Knight himself who, considering he was the playable character before, has an impressive AI that utilises his abilities.

The one drawback for Plague of Shadows is that Plague Knight is intentionally nowhere near as mobile as Shovel Knight. While he has a double jump, it's not always enough. Plague Knight's new ability is the Bomb Burst, which consists of holding down the Bomb button until he flashes. Once the button's released, he'll fly either upwards or forwards, depending on directional input. Mastering what is essentially a triple jump is essential to completing the game and collecting the Cipher Coins. Also, because of the bigger focus on projectiles, most of the bosses (with the exception of that cheating bastard Propeller Knight) offer almost no challenge, assuming you knew their attacks from before.

The expansion also throws in Challenge Mode for both characters and they're really fun too. They're not too difficult and reek of the "one more go" mentality.

Even with some chinks in the armour, Plague of Shadows has lived up to the hype. Despite how different he is, Plague Knight is fun to play as, the story is charming and assuming you already own and have completed Shovel Knight, it's completely free. I almost wish I had been able to pay for the DLC, but then again I have the Shovel Knight amiibo down for pre-order, so I guess that'll count for now. I'm very interested to see what the next DLC starring King Knight is like.
Back to top Go down
Thorn
Thorn

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last game you played   Rate the last game you played - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2015 7:52 pm

Right, I'm aware that I've pretty much been putting a lot in this thread lately, but this is one I've been putting off for a while.

Batman: Arkham Knight - PS4 - 7.5/10

I won't say too much, since I'd be repeating what a lot of others have said, but Arkham Knight is a satisfying finale and a game I'm very happy to have been my first PS4 title...

... But to be completely honest, Asylum and City are vastly superior to me.

Now please don't misunderstand me, I'm not calling Arkham Knight a bad game. I wouldn't even say it's a disappointing game. But I wouldn't go as far to say it completely met my expectations.

The graphics are amazing. The story is flawed, but fine. The combat has been tweaked just that little bit more. It's not beginner-friendly, but nothing too hair-pulling. The Batmobile is a great addition, but the tank battles are monotonous. The side missions can be also described as such etc., etc.

Really, my biggest problem with Arkham Knight is that it doesn't really do too many different things. More than Origins, if I can give it that much but despite how many tweaks and improvements the developers can add, it boils down to the fact that Arkham Knight is more or less the same thing, just prettier to look at. Yes, I realise that sounds incredibly hypocritical from a guy who likes Mario games, but this is a franchise starring a character who is constantly evolving and improving himself (well, physically... mentally speaking, on the other hand).

This also holds very true to the story in one aspect. I love The Joker. I especially love Mark Hamill as The Joker. But I am so sick of seeing The Joker in these games. It's nice that he's now just reduced to hallucinations and I do genuinely get a kick out of his dialogue (in fact, I think it's some of his best in the series). But you don't need Joker for everything you do. One of Batman's biggest strengths is that it's got a wide variety of villains to deal with. I get that Bats and Mr. J are two sides of the same coin, but his appearance here after the way Arkham City ended is really stretching it.

But like I said, Arkham Knight is by no means a bad game. I still recommend it, but if you've played the previous games, it's best that you don't go in there with high expectations like I did. And major kudos to Rocksteady for holding out this long and I look forward to what they'll do in the future. Maybe move on to another DC Comics franchise. There's a lot to work with that I think deserve a good video game.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last game you played   Rate the last game you played - Page 11 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rate the last game you played
Page 10 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next